Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Heidi ~ May 7

 

I’m feeling time pressured so trying the stream of consciousness approach, not lingering over each phrase to get it just right.

 

Last night I remembered I have a 10am zoom this morning which completely threw off my thoughts for the day, especially time to get the apartment/studio in order for a client.

 

I have a lingering fear that I will get caught in my mess, someone will show up, anyone, maybe a phantom someone, before the bed is made, there will be curlers in my hair, the dishes strewn about the kitchen counters, dust bunnies will fly up and hit them in the face.

 

Caught in the mess, haven’t done the vacuuming before my mother gets home from her decorating career in NYC. Disappointing her because I was distracted watching Bandstand with my best high school friend, Louie, AKA Betty Lou. 

 

Louie has been living in Florida, retired since age 55 with her high school sweetheart husband of 60 years. They live in a retirement complex where people gather for every event, some excluded, feelings get hurt, gossip abounds just like high school. Where she dresses her ample 200ish pound body in stereotypical Mexican style for Cinco De Mayo beaming out from her facebook page, happy as all get out.  

 

Our lives have been completely different, me in my small Kingston apartment where I still see clients on a regular basis. Rarely attend group activities and in a million years would be embarrassed to dramatically dress up to mimic a culture.

 

But oh those memories talking late into the night on our pink princess phones, hiding under the blankets so our parents couldn’t hear us, god forbid they picked up the extension and heard all about boys, boys, boys.  The first time we kissed a boy, every minute detail, what he said, how he smiles, on and on.  Even though we had just seen each other 3 hours ago. So much to share! 

 

I have visited Louie a couple of times since high school …. And still….. so much to share!

 

3 comments:

  1. I love the dust bunnies hitting them in the face...the fantasy of being caught in the messiness of it all, and then to end up with this unlikely friendship after so many years and divergent paths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relate to people coming over and seeing the mess...getting caught in curlers...and the ultimate catching up with friends so long separated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "dramatically dress up to mimic a culture" -- those words aced it! I love the insight.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...