Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Gloria ~ May 7

 

ROUNDING OUT THE RING CYCLE

 

So the TEDx  went well after starting out with a bit of a fright.  After pulling off a perfect rehearsal in NY, Ron and I flew out and we were both totally jet lagged by the time we arrived. Ron requested an off day to just take in Ireland and of course I acceded as he had been so very good about all those pressured days of going over and over the material . 

 

On show day we both realised we didn’t  remember shit about any of it. 

 

Luckily we had two hours before going on, and we managed to secure a corner backstage away from the roomful of participants so we could reacquaint ourselves with the material. In the end…Ron was flawless and I was the one who made a mistake but fortunately we were asked to repeat the talk the next day. 

 

Ron had sort of mentioned getting a ring for me in Ireland and I kind of thought he might have something in mind…so I confided that to one of my new Irish friends and she told me about the traditional Irish Claddagh ring and the symbolism attached. 

 

Somehow we never did get around to getting that ring and it really was not the right time anyway so I let it go.

 

Two years pass….

 

When we were finally engaged I went back to considering that Irish ring.  And then remembered that my mother had given me her beautiful wedding ring before she passed. Her diamond engagement ring she had asked me to give to her niece while assuring me:

 

Someday you will get something better.

 

So…I’m thinking it’s a connection to my past and our mutual deaf mothers that makes us Codas, which is what initially brought us together.

So we went to Tiffanys and found a matching little diamond engagement ring but…it was just…not me. It’s sort of cold and other than the Coda link has no connection to us as a couple.

 

That TEDx was meaningful in so many ways. I will never forget how  bravely he came through for me in learning that script and how well we worked together and how happy he was to rehearse in a real NYC rehearsal space with my Director. 

 

And besides the performance…it brought me overseas. And I made new and wonderful friends and although a very picky eater how I loved every breakfast lunch and tea time and dinner and snack in Ireland and later on in the UK and Amsterdam and Paris.  

 

Ron had told me early on: I want to show you the world

 

And Ireland was the start of that promise.

 

The hands on the ring symbolise friendship, which is how our story began…and the little crown is for the loyalty we have to each other and the green heart is for love. All three together… just what and who we are.

 

And besides all that for god sake Ron is half Irish!! 

 

So in the end…my mother was right:

 

I got something better…

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I am gripped by the story, and moved by the deep heart-feltedness of the telling.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...