Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Marta ~ May 8

 

The washing machine surges, back and forth in the background. The cat sips. Once, I made a tape of sounds. I was about 13 and used my father's tabletop reel-to-reel recorder. I'd gotten the idea in music class, that maybe something interesting could be made just by stringing sounds together. The water running from the tap. I played the tape for my father in his room and could see that it didn't mean much to him. He liked his sounds more familiar and ordered, the classical music of his growing up. In the next house, a few years later, a different country, he played that music often in the living room with a scotch and soda in hand, after the rest of us had gone to bed upstairs. He slept downstairs, on a sofa bed in the front hallway, a space that also held a large built-in closet and a full bathroom, and that could be closed off with delicate French doors. This small wing had been added during the years that we were away so he had anticipated the desire for separation. If he couldn't have an apartment in the city, at least he could have this. In the lean years. When he felt a little more flush he'd take a room at the Yale Club, a rather spartan solution, but at least the entrance with its deferential staff and potted palms could buoy his spirits, make him feel a man of accomplishment. 

3 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the father in his own space, added while the family is away, listening to his music having his drink. I am curious about his connection to the family. And the last sentence says so much about the father: "a room at the Yale Club..deferential staff and potted plants.. making him feel a man of accomplishment."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were way ahead of your time recording all those sounds of water...now they are used in tapes to help and comfort people who cannot sleep. An intriguing profile of a father who is present yet not present...nearby yet distant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The adventurous daughter and the father who requires the structure of classical music and the potted palms, who surrounds himself with barriers, his own room amidst the family. I love that the daughter is interested in the sounds, all of them, that surround her. from this we know so much already about them, and their relationship.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...