Friday, May 24, 2024

Lila ~ May 24

 

There should be more psychiatrists that counsel.  

I don’t understand why there has to be so many members of the care-team—a bunch of disconnected people, each doing their own thing. 

The therapist or the psychologist does the dirty work.  The psychiatrist just writes the script.  Then the medical doctor takes care of any physical complaints and side effects of the medications, such as nausea and vomiting, hyperglycemia and hyperlipidemia, even thyroid problems, hair loss, menstrual irregularities. 

Of course, the therapist and the psychiatrist are rarely on the same page, or know anything about the other’s work.  

The therapist is most likely an LCSW or LMSW or psychologist but has no medical expertise.  Even if they did, they are not qualified or licensed to apply that knowledge. 

The psychiatrist has medical expertise, but cares little about the inner workings of the soul and the complex processes that underlie so many mental illnesses.  

I can’t for the life of me understand how people with that much medical training can be so clueless and so careless.  It boggles my mind.  

It’s not that I think there’s not a place for medication or diagnoses.  I believe that there is.  But how people can be so careless about their application is beyond me. 

There was no clear explanation of my diagnosis, or even my prognosis.  What might my future look like?  Will I ever be married or have a relationship or a family?  What kinds of jobs might I work?  How will I support myself?  Will I need disability? Short or long term?  

There were no answers.  Just 15 minutes, a script, and goodbye. 

I finally did find a doctor, who did her job.  She saved my life.  I am forever grateful to God for her.  

 

 

1 comment:

  1. A mental health horror show is depicted, one of utter carelessness for people at the stage in life when they are unusually in need and fragile.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...