Friday, May 24, 2024

Gloria ~ May 24

 

DRIVING PART 6 - HOME

 

 

It was time to drive back to NY

 

My brother suggested the scenic route along the Taconic Parkway.  The oldest highway in America.  Also the narrowest.  I kept getting squeezed into the fast lane with drivers mad at me and shaking their heads or giving me the finger. 

 

Finally pulled over just to give it a rest on the side of the road. A cop pulled in behind me asking if I was ok. This time I did not pull the girlie stunt. 

 

 just said yeah I’m having a problem. First of all... I just learned how to drive about five minutes ago. Then I asked him to come with me closer to the road and I’m pointing out the cars and complaining:

 

Look at this! They’re going too fast!! Aren’t they going too fast??

 

He just laughed saying:

 

This really is a difficult road for a beginner.

 

Then because he was trying to be encouraging he said:

 

But it’s a really beautiful road.

 

To which I replied:

 

I hadn’t noticed!

 

Eventually I had to get back on that road. 

 

Then had to stop for gas. 

 

I pulled up to the pump and of course  the gas tank was on the other side. Got the car turned around and saw that it was self serve. 

 

Had no idea how to do that.

 

Went into the little store hoping to either flirt or try the age card to get some nice young man to help me out. As soon as I walked in I saw this tough middle aged take no prisoners (and no bullshit) woman behind the counter. 

 

Had  to change plans. 

 

So dressed in my delicate summer whites…holding that hose at arms length…I pumped the damn gas.

 

Finally got home. 

 

Delivered the car and they didn’t even notice the streak.  

 

 Thirtyunrenewed years later...

 

The next car I would drive would be Ron’s beautiful Mustang, practising on a private roadway. One feather light touch on the gas and it happily moves for me. 

 

I do love driving that car so now I’m back where I started.

 

Must get license..

 

2 comments:

  1. I never knew that the TSP was the oldest highway in America! Reading your driving journey is remarkable. I can't imagine not having learned to drive. How stressful that must be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one so polished ~ the sympathetic cop, the unsympathetic gas station woman...I have greatly enjoyed this precursor tale to current life ~ time once again to get license.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...