Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Lila ~ May 22

 

Spring and summer are sad times for me. You'd think I'd be the opposite. You'd think I'd be sad about the coming of fall and winter. 

 

But spring and summer are scary. It's a launch into a new season, a new place, new horizons. 

 

Winter feels safe. I can hibernate and hide in the dark. The holiday season feels warm and welcoming. 

 

The light is bright and shines in my darkness. I feel spit out into a new territory. 

 

As a kid it was nice to not have to go to school. I was free, and yet, perhaps I felt a separation anxiety with the structure that school provided me.

 

I went on a field trip, to Washington D.C., at the school where I work. It is a politically charged place and reminds me of all the terrible conflict out of which our nation was born. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Unexpectedly relating to this... the hibernation of winter...layers of clothing...warmth of home.And then the too bright light of summer and exposed skin and crowds outdoors. An original writer with an original thought that makes one reflect on seasonal comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And one other visceral thought...Washington DC and the terrible conflicts...never ending.

      Delete
  2. I too liked the insight about the difference between winter and summer, and winter's appeal of withdrawal, summer's demand of exposure.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...