Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Joe ~ May 7

 

A Smattering

 

I’m reflecting on number of happenings going on in my life over the past Winter and well into the Spring. These little anecdotes are in no particular order or may or may not be interconnected. 

I begin: Last night I had the distinct pleasure of attending a cabaret show at the 54 Below nightclub. It’s probably one of the classiest entertainment venues in NYC. A woman by the name of Marylyn Maye performed a set list of Broadway tunes that were delivered in the most beautiful, professional and thoroughly pleasing manner that I personally ever experienced. Her every note and modulation, stories from her past and present and her constant communication with her dedicated fans didn’t let a moment go to waste. Even when she seemingly was doing nothing in particular, she was indeed doing something and every eye movement and saunter across the stage was purposeful and well choreographed. This woman sang and reached out to her hugging attendees and had them all in awe. So life affirming was her presence and with her shimmering blue sequined top and her eyes twinkling an endearing hello and I’m glad your here. Marylyn Maye is the inimitable performer and she could do a clinic on how to do it better than anybody else. Now the kicker to this and to me, the most astounding fact of her performance is: Marylyn Maye is 96 years old. I kid you not….talk about an inspiration…life changing, really. There were many luminaries in the audience that stood many times to deliver an ovation that could have gone on endlessly. Marylyn Maye has been featured in New York Times articles and performed at Carnegie Hall last year with an 88 piece orchestra. Her trusted and über talented trio was with her every step of the way—all virtuosos of their instruments. The four of them were organic in the ever so clever renditions of Sondheim, Loesser and a bevy of others. The arrangements and transitions made the evening one well crafted ride that smoothly went from upbeat to a tender love song. She is one special lady that I would will hopefully get to see again and again. 

Well, this was going to be a smattering and I will try to squeeze a few more smatterings before I sign off. 

After having knee replacement surgery last July I announce to you that I was able to walk up and down stairs today without pain for the first time in years. Yes, my fingers are crossed and I’m tap dancing on the hard wood floor, 

Next…After suffering with ongoing sinus infections for the past 6 months I am taking steroids, antibiotics and very potent nasal spray that will knock this demon out from the very cranium that it has been residing in….and that’s a good thing, too.

As I wrote previously, I’m painting again and have another week to finish this endless pigment application to what seems like the side of One World Trade Center. All because I told the truth and let the gallery director know that I would be taken my artwork out of the show and it wouldn’t be fair to the other rule followers who delivered their work on time. The gallery director, Melissa, if you may, said if I needed another week to bring in my work that would be fine by her. Well, there you go. I must leave now to paint and catch up on Boston Celtics game while I do the laundry. 
So, there you have it. There are so many aspects of my life that I have to be grateful for. The Swans and Barn Swallows are back at my little park of meditation and the cycle continues on. Be well, I’m glad your all out there.

 

1 comment:

  1. Great anecdotes, keep em coming. Especially the musical ones. Hearing about Marylyn Maye's stellar nightclub performance was truly inspiring and energizing. I hope to be in great performance shape when I'm 96 too, which actually is not that far off.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...