Sunday, May 5, 2024

Heidi ~ May 5

 

Christina’s woman-bonding car encounter reminds me of a different event awhile back.

 

I am roaming the Sunfrost Health Food Store’s snug parking lot seeking a place to rest my Subaru not too far from the front door.  There is some kind of parking lot universal challenge to get as close to the entrance as possible, like I can’t walk an extra few car lengths.   But it isn’t about the walk, unless it is raining in which case practicality justifies.  It is about scoring.  

 

So, I am between the front row and the front door when a Ford pickup starts backing out right in front of me, too late for me to back up or go forward.  I lean on the horn, surely avoiding any contact. Surely this person will recognize the error of their ways. 

 

Now, I had just spent $500 deductible to replace the front end of my 10-year-old silver ride, feeling very proud of its shiny new face. This was a bit more than a year ago but for the life of me I don’t recall why she needed repair in the first place.  But, that’s okay.  Not the point of the story.

 

The pick-up keeps coming, I keep blasting my horn, until … CRUNCH!

 

What the hell?  

 

We both emerge.

 

“Sorry I didn’t hear you.”

 

“What? I was blasting my horn.”

 

“Oh, I am deaf, and just had expensive dental surgery and I can’t afford groceries and my health is bad.”  She is about 60ish (or maybe younger if her health is truly bad), wearing overalls, hair askew, ample bodied, sticking by the side of her truck as if it was a safety zone.  

 

Good grief.

 

What the hell is she doing driving deaf?  I suppose that’s allowed but seems dangerous.  Why doesn’t she get a god damn hearing aid.

 

I look at the damage, there is a substantial dent in the right fender.  But livable.  I really don’t want to go through the whole insurance thing again, don’t want it on my record so soon.  There is some kind of waiver if you don’t have another accident, whether it’s your fault or not, for some upteen period of time.

 

I am a compassionate person, but my decision is totally self-centered because of the insurance and all that.

 

So “I’ll let it go.”  Her body slumps in relief.

 

Later I think, “if she is SO deaf how in the hell did she hear me when we had a normal level conversation, but didn’t hear a piercing warning horn?  

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Something's fishy in the state of Sunfrost. I'm not buying the deaf story. If she said she was dumb it would have been much easier to believe her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt completely inside this experience, from hunting for the award-winning parking space to the "What?", the "Good grief," and the CRUNCH, that sound that lets you know you've stepped in it now.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...