Thursday, May 9, 2024

Gary ~ May 9

 

POK Boulder, Cometh Here I

 

I'm all set for the Boulder gathering. Eliza, the social director, suggested we call it a Pre-Union, by which she means, I guess, the event that comes before the BIG event, the Amplify! Conference which is coming up in October, which I am definitely not going to for reasons that I might rant about in a future MM piece.

 

In the meantime, the main thing is that both my costumes have arrived, and I am totally PUMPED for our performance of one of the scenes from Twelfth Night that I am producing and directing for  Saturday night's "Sharing Party," which I thought was  a pretty stupid name for Talent Night or Open Mic Night, which is really what it is. I got some pushback from a few folks when I called that name into question, but after taking time to pause, step back a little, and calm down already!, I have come to be OK, if not Perfectly OK, with the "Sharing Party" moniker. Yeah, I don't want to make any waves, I don't want to upset anyone. I just want everyone to have a good time.  Lord, hear our prayer!

 

The fact is that I am pretty happy now, and I love my new Renaissance outfit: black cape with gold trim and gold cords to tie it at the neck; dark red shirt with laces that tie at the neck as well; nice little medieval cap with gold trim and a red feather topping it off. Yeah I am really going to look sharp.  I ordered some black Renaissance pants with laces that tie at the bottom and I was going to order some really cool-looking  Renaissance shoes too, but they were out of stock in my size in black and I didn't think that the brown ones would go with the outfit but maybe I'll change my mind and order the brown ones today anyway.  They are $100, so I'm going back-and-forth, but if I know myself, as soon as I finish this essay I'll go right out online and order them. 

 

And I'll probably order the medieval sword and scabbard too, although I might have a bit of a problem getting on the plane with the sword slung around my waist.  It's too big to stuff in my backpack or carry on bag.  We'll see what happens.

 

The other costume, the 8-piece chauffer's outfit, I haven't opened yet and so I can't, at this point, say much about that, except that it looks good in the plastic pouch in which it came and so I am sure it will look perfectly fine when I pick Eliza up from the airport and the one or two other folks who are arriving a few hour after she does.  I'll also need it when I pick up Irene next Wednesday after I arrive,  and when I pick up Michael and Eddie next day, and when I drop Irene and Sequoia off at the airport (along with myself) on Monday May 20 when we all leave the "Pre-Union" or whatever you want to call it, and fly back home.

 

I like chauffering people around and I used to that very thing for Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Martha Stewart, just to name-drop some of the more famous people I used to drive back and forth to airports and other destinations when Iived in Westport CT after leaving the cult that  I was in for 10 years in Jamaica Queens.

 

Oh I think we're going to  need a Part II, Part III, a Part IV, and maybe even a Part V for this one, which could go on even longer that the Saran Wrap Saga, if you can believe that.

 

Yeah, I do like to ramble, I must say.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. the blithe, tongue in cheek, never sure whether to believe what he's saying (the 8-piece chauffeur outfit?), always a pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The excitement! The enthusiasm! Palpable in this piece. I had not giggle at the image of "getting on the plane with a sword slung around my waist."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could it be (oh no!) that you're having too much fun? -- And sweeping us along with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the "questioning" of the "Sharing Party" name.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priceless!! Sometime you gotta show us a picture at a meeting!!

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...