Saturday, May 25, 2024

Gary ~ May 25

 

Gay and Gray in Roxbury

 

Gay and Gray in Roxbury NY

 

It is now official. I am now a full time resident of "gay and gray" Roxbury NY.

 

I moved up from Woodstock yesterday and will be going down to Woodstock only for play rehearsals, acting classes, and Marta's LIVE writing workshops at her house.

 

There are still some loose ends to tie up, and I'll be schlepping back and forth to Woodstock to bring more stuff up here, but basically, I feel that I am a resident of Roxbury now and am looking forward to seeing what life in this town is like.

 

I am already doing a radio show from the station here in town, WIOXFM 91.3, and now I'll only be 10 minutes away from the studio and so I might become more involved with the radio station, since I no longer have to drive 45 minutes to get here.

 

What else lies in store is anybody's guess.  My townhouse is only 10 minutes from Margaretville as well where I have performed in many plays at the Open Eye Theater there. I expect to do a lot more performing at the Open Eye now that I am no longer 45 minutes away from the theater.

 

So radio and theater will be part of my new regime here in Roxbury and I am not sure what else.

 

Golf, maybe. Already two guys in the gated housing complex (I guess that's what it might be called) into which I have just moved have told me about several golf courses in the area that they go to, and how great the golfing is up here.

 

I brought my golf clubs with me just in case.  I always say I am going to go golging but never do. I had joined the Woodstock Golf Club when I first moved (for the second time) to Woodstock in 2015 and played maybe 3 or 4 rounds before packing it in.  I saved my golf clubs though, and didn't give them away the way we have given away (and are still in the process of doing so) TONS of stuff that we can't bring with us since our townhouse is less than half the size of our 4-acre spread in Willow NY, where we just piled up shit for the 9 years we've lived there, some of it still in the boxes they came in, since my wife loves ordering stuff for the house and by the time it comes she is busy ordering other stuff and didn't take the time to unpack the stuff that already arrived.

 

I can't blame her because I have the same tendency although it is  not by any means as extreme as  hers.

 

Perhaps if I use a golf cart I'll be able to get out there for a few rounds.  I carried my bag at the Woodstock Golf Club and got tired of lugging my heavy Callaway golf bag around for 18 holes and parked my golf bag in the garage where it lied fallow for the next 9 years.  I am definitely too gray to lug my own bag the way I did when I was a hot young golfer.

 

Then there's the Catskill Recreational Center in Arkville that my wife wanted to join and dragged me along with her.  We went there a few times.  My wife liked the pool but I hated it since the water was so cold.  I lifted a few weights and used some of the nautilus machines they have there while my wife was swimming laps but I can't say I that I "worked out" with any enthusiam whatsoever.  Thank God, the Catskill Recreational Center was 40 minutes away from our house in Willow so we got tired of making the schlepp up to Arkville real quick.

 

But now, it's only 10 minutes from our townhouse here in Roxbury Run Village so there are no more excuses.  We have vowed to go to the gym and pool at least 3 times a week since we are so close. I only pray that my wife will break her vow the same way I fully intend to break mine.  If you want to call me old and lazy you will never get an argument from me.

 

I've covered the gray part, but what about the gay aspect?

 

This morning my wife and I are going to have breakfast at the Watershed restaurant in Roxbury.  It's

run by two gay guys with big muscles.  Perhaps they go to the Catskill Recreational Center of the small fitness center near their restaurant.  They look like they are in their 50s and both of them seem to be in really good shape.  Being gay and gray in Roxbury seems to work very well for them, esp. given the fact that their restaurant happens to be a very popular meeting and greeting place for the local residents.

 

Maybe I'll "throw myself around" while I'm there having my avocado toast and see what happens.

Not that I have any expectations around that whatsoever.

 

But as Fats Waller used to say, "One never knows, do one?"

 

I wonder if he was gay and gray too.

 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely enjoyed hearing about this whole new environment, this new world into which the narrator has landed, though bits of it he already has a relationship with...it's an exciting moment, just before the curtain goes up.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...