Monday, May 6, 2024

Christina ~ May 6

 

I walk down Northampton‘s Main Street with my son, holding my grandson’s hand. At the corners Nick says, Don’t stand so near the curb, Mom. I know you’re a New Yorker, I know that’s how you walk in New York, but don’t do that here, not when you’re holding Costa’s hand. And I back up, not seeing the problem but not wanting to stress my already stressed son. And I think about that now I’m in New York for the day, how I walked from Penn Station last night to my hotel on West 24th after I got off the train, the 1 train “delayed,“ not arriving for 25 minutes and it would take me less than 25 minutes to walk the ten blocks. And as I got to each corner in my walk downtown, I peered down the street, left or right depending which way the traffic went, to make sure the coast was clear and crossed whether or not the light was red.  The street was full of newcomers to the city, also just off the train or maybe walking down 7th Avenue looking for landmarks, maybe looking for Mood, that store that the Project Runway contestants go to to buy material. So I walked, fast, ignoring the red lights, but after a few blocks I realized that there was a group of people, a family, that always reached the corner when I did even though they didn’t cross on the red as I did, holding back until the light turned green. So much for my New York City walk, the walk that says l, the pedestrian, not the cars, own the streets.  

 

3 comments:

  1. I really like the seesaw of these two places, these two homes, and the overall dilemma of where to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how the ambivalence between city and Northampton get played out by how you stand at the curb, how you cross the street…and how by the end you realize the family who waits for the light to change still keeps up the pace. Nice shift, a circle back without being too obvious, well told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciate the dilemma of the divided life, how we are and wish to be in New York, unimpeded by family. And yes...no matter the lights...it's a pedestrian city and it's ours!!

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...