Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Marta ~ May 21

 

There are times when I don't want to write because I don't want to tell anyone about myself. I want to be alone with my stuff. It's probably better that I write and come out of my cave, but in this state I reject the words that suggest themselves instead of trusting them. 

 

This new phone that I ordered arrived yesterday. I put it off for months. I get no pleasure out of these things, think of them as life-destroying little machines, but the old phone had no room for anything anymore even though I extended its sputtering life by deleting little by little almost everything I was asking it to do. During those months of not buying a new phone I considered my alternatives, and then bought a new phone. 

 

I hated it before it arrived and am annoyed by its barrage of auto-suggestions and auto-corrections and how it has expanded on the infantilization and "make-life-easy" quotients. I eliminate them when I can. I like my food unpredigested, thank you, and despite your long list of options for ring-tones, which I am sure took many expensive hours to develop, only one or two are even tolerable, the rest sounding like robots or electronics or metal-on-metal. 

 

I want more time to study Hungarian. I want to overcome the resistance to studying Hungarian. It's one of my favorite things to do and yet it's hard to turn my attention to it. There's always the nagging feeling that I am making no progress, how can I possibly make a dent on the mountain range I have to get through? Though my faltering steps have moved me out of base camp, and perhaps even to the first ledge, which is different than being, say, still in the airport, waiting to depart. So it's a matter of putting my nose into it regardless of how I feel about it in the moment.


When I was a kid, piano practice -- which I had thought would be fun after listening to a child's recording of the Life of Beethoven -- hung over me all week like a guillotine, the week of "tomorrow's" always ending before I was ready. At least now I know that even the tiniest exposure -- if not daily (though I wish I could manage that) at least often -- is the trick. 

 

I made coffee this morning, which I never do, and it was good, and chirped me up a bit. Some days the weight of difficulties looms, other days they shrink to manageability even without solutions. 

 

There is one person whose recordings I listen to. In one track she asks, "Are you unhappy?" and then, "Are you really?" 

 

I pause. I look. And can usually see that down there, beneath the rumble of mutterings, I'm not unhappy at all. 

 

4 comments:

  1. The narrator falters a little bit, struggles a tad, goes a little back and forth for awhile but finally makes it to "down there" where everything is always OK, no matter what the waves are doing on the surface of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rambling through the detritus of daily life, the minor decisions, the personal shoulds.. The recording, are you really? is a nice touch - interrupting the inner complainer with an inner wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am noting that in the beginning the author wants to be alone with her "stuff" but thinks it is "better that I write and come out of my cave." Which she clearly does, realizing "I am not unhappy at all." I love the two paragraphs about the phone as a piece in itself. "Life destroying little machine." But apparently, a necessity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sympathy for the author not wanting to be present yet having to deal with the reality of a phone that is necessary yet the setting up is not in accordance at all with the current state of mind. led "chirped me up a bit." Like a bird ready to sing once again.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...