Sunday, May 26, 2024

Heidi ~ May 26

 

On a zoom call today my sister-in-law, a therapist, my daughter and I were talking about people who can’t stop talking. It is a mystery to me.  Maureen, the therapist, conjectures “maybe they don’t expect to be listened to so they just keep going.”  That struck me, I hadn’t thought of that.  I don’t expect to be listened to, based on childhood learning, so I keep quiet, unless someone draws me out.  Then I am full of expression, an energy bursts forth, while a watchful eye hovers over me: “am I talking too much?”  That is why I like to write, full expression without worrying about the wandering eyes, or a tense face that says: “I want to talk now, I’m not really listening.”  Kelly, my daughter, likes to talk but also listens.  In a boring college course, she timed herself to not speak for 15 minutes at a time, she had so much to say but didn’t want to overwhelm the instructor.  A relative, Sherry, who knows she can’t stop talking, says “I talk too much, now I want to hear from you.” I open my mouth, say a word or two and she is off again.  I used to be a focus group leader in market research.  There I had control, used hand gestures to draw people in or shut them down.  It was my job. “YOU can talk, YOU let others talk, SAM what do you think?” I held the baton, raised the bassons, lowered the drums with a flick of my hand. It was quite satisfying!  I am great at asking questions, which I sometimes have to control because talkers will, well, talk and talk and talk.  “Oh shit, why did I ask her that, too late now,” goes through my mind.  It’s about giving, receiving, allowing, negotiating, a dance that often falters, but is exquisite when we both blend with the music.  That’s my thought for the day. I’m going to stop talking now.  

________________

 

4 comments:

  1. Why we talk too much? Endless subject...and I was let down when you stopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A dance that often falters, but is exquisite when we both blend with the music." That says so very much in itself that we want this particular dance to go on a bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, that watchful eye hovering over me...also: good at asking questions....much excellent detail and observations in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people talk too much, some people write too much, some people do both. This thoughtful and well-written piece has me wondering just where I fit in.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...