Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Gloria ~ May 8

 

TORNADO WARNING

 

So the sirens went off last night and the warnings were posted that a TORNADO WATCH was on. Don’t really know who’s watching but I guess it’s all those weather people who are so rarely right one has to be grateful they did not train to be brain surgeons or we’d all be in trouble.

 

Anyway…

 

Back to the TORNADO.

 

Now, if you have always lived in the midwest you’re  kind of used to this but I’m a New Yorker and we don’t have disaster weather and   even when we come close it’s no big deal

 

Years ago I woke up very early one morning to my bed shaking and my first thought  was…oh…we’re having an earthquake…and I promptly went back to sleep.

 

But last night was SOOO different! 

 

First there was a thunder storm.. Ok we have those in NY.  Comes and goes. Thunder…wait a bit…then more thunder closer… then wait some more and a bit of lighting   No big deal

 

HOWEVER…in OHIO….the thunder NEVER STOPS!  It’s BOOM and then LIGHTNING and then MORE BOOM and it just keeps going!  And the other big difference is that when you’re in a HOUSE it SURROUNDS you!! Remember SURROUND SOUND?? That’s what this is!

 

So the house is surrounded by BOOM and then FLASH and then a lot of rumbling until the next BOOM followed by… you guessed it (or not) a TORNADO WARNING.

 

We were riding this out downstairs in the Family Room…because…well…now we are really a family…and I wanted to go upstairs and Ron told me that no we are NOT going to bed because…

 

Wait for it…

 

THE HOUSE COULD BLOW AWAY!

 

So we needed to be downstairs right next to the basement door in case we had a visit from MR (or MS) TORNADO.  

 

I put up a FB post announcing what was going on here and this morning Ron posted that all was well and we were “basking in the sun.”

 

Well….

 

HE was basking…

 

I was busy making a list consisting of:
Passports

Wallets

Keys

Insurance Papers

Medical Records

Pills

Power cords

Phones

Snacks

Water 

 

Any other suggestions would be welcomed!

 

All of which must be  READY TO HAND if ever we have to head for that basement.

 

OH…one more thought,…

 

The SILVER LINING here is that we are now determined to throw out all the piled up boxes in the basement and install a fold out sofa.

 

Just in case…

 

Because we are both way too old and creaky to think we can just put a mattress on the floor.

 

That would be like two turtles lying on their backs…

 

ONE turtle has to be UPRIGHT  to get the OTHER one flipped over! 

 

Welcome to the MID WEST!!!

 

 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the change in culture and environment that the narrator experiences, and how NY weather disasters don't come close to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorothy is not in Kansas anymore! Great description of a different kind of storm -- surround sound! I could sense the narrator really trying to get across that this was nothing ordinary, this was a BIG DEAL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was basking, I was making lists...really enjoyed the scene of how each of you, the New Yorker and the Ohio native deal with this dramatic event

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...