Sunday, May 26, 2024

Gloria ~ May 26

 

IT”S CAT TIME!

 

Have written previously about my cats and pigeons and the dog and the random raccoon.

 

We all missed the raccoon visits, especially Robin my blue point Siamese. They never did get to meet beyond fond gazes through the window, but Sam the tuxedo kitty was relieved that she was gone and Willie our little extra surprise kitty was…perhaps…disappointed at not having the pleasure of a nose to nose meeting.

 

Of the three, Robin was the most fragile, the only cat I ever got directly from a breeder. I had wanted a Siamese as a companion for Sam, as my research had indicated they were the most likely to get along with both humans and cats. 

 

The breeder had a bunch of kittens in her home, and I sat on the sofa waiting to see who would come over to say hello…and it was Robin. Came up behind me and started taking the pins out of my hair while sitting on my shoulder…and since he chose me I then chose him.

 

The connection between Robin and Sam was instant.

 

I had put an extra cat bed next to Sam’s bed, but Robin jumped right in with Sam who promptly gave him  a head to toe bath and that was it. Friends for life! 

 

Their connection  was very strong and protective. Once when Sam was missing Robin would not stop meowing until I looked behind the washing machine and saw a very stuck cat. And I have already written about Sam’s adventures in disappearing and once again Robin knew what had happened and tried to tell me.

 

Robin was always lithe and active, so when he started to slow down at 9 years I became concerned. I found out that inbred Siamese are prone to cardiomyopathy, which is a hole in the heart. I did all I could for him, but that condition is not reversible. 

 

My final visit to the vet is one I will never forget and always regret.

 

They told me they could help by treating him overnight, so I left him there and went home. And in the morning I was told he had passed in the night.

 

I was devastated. He was all alone. This kitty who wanted nothing more than to be with me or Sam or Willie or even a raccoon all the time.

 

Unless it was a dire emergency that was absolutely treatable, I vowed never again to leave a cat anywhere alone. 

 

 To be continued

 

 

1 comment:

  1. The deep warm cat connection comes through so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...