Sunday, May 19, 2024

Marta ~ May 19

 

It was a pounding day -- worked on the manuscript all morning and, yes, finished it, though of course if I'd had another two weeks I could have gone into so much more detail. But I was ready ahead of time, texted the client if she'd like to come early. She did, with sushi for us in hand, though not enough. I was starving and polished it off quickly, but no matter. 

 

We dove into discussing her work thoroughly. I've known and written with her for more than ten years and now she has brought forth a manuscript. It's not ready yet, but it is still a triumph. 

 

As soon as she departed I changed clothes and tore into the cottage to prepare it for new arrivals. Luckily, the batch that departed this morning had been pretty conscientious so my work was straightforward. Then walk the dog, keeping it shorter than she wanted, fed everyone an early dinner, was ravenous myself so quickly downed peanut butter and crackers, then set out for Fred without making any improvements on my scruffy appearance. 

 

After 10 minutes of driving I pulled over in a shady spot for a 10-minute cat nap, then kept going, wondering if I was making the right decision. I was so tired. But it had been too many days since I'd last been there. And I couldn't go tomorrow. I kept going, though a few miles from getting there I was still seriously debating if I should turn around. I kept going. 

 

I kept the visit short. Only 45 minutes. A stroll in the summer evening, noticing birds and squirrels, Fred so calm that I still wonder if they really did up his meds and are lying to me. 

2 comments:

  1. Pristine clarity of this writing takes us immediately into the beginning of a " pounding day." which we know is going to be relentlessly demanding. So much of the author's generous time and attention to the other writer...and all the chores to be done and regretful that dog's walk had to be a bit brief... and while enjoying the peaceful walk with Fred... the gnawing fear of being lied to. We live this day with her with clarity and understanding and compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the details as she takes us in hand along with her. All her thoughts as one task/event after another is accomplished. The whole paragraph about being tired, but keep going. And that nagging thought that Fred may be medicated.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...