Friday, May 17, 2024

Lila ~ May 17

 

My greatest fear isn’t dying, but living.  Or rather, dying without having fulfilled my purpose in this life.  Dying with unfinished business, or with unfulfilled hopes and dreams. 

We are on the brink of WWIII, on the brink of nuclear war again. 

It isn’t time for me to focus on writing.  I‘ve had all this time and have so much unfulfilled.  

War between Russia and Ukraine, with Putin preparing to drop a nuclear bomb.  

The war between Israel and Gaza and Iran up north, also ready to press the button.  

Thousands are dead in these places.  Robbed of their hopes and dreams, their ability to fulfill their lives, their purposes. 

I hear the nasty things that people have to say about Jews.  That we’re showing our real colors, our true selves.  That we are the scum of the earth, ugly, inferior.  That our outward appearance is a manifestation of our inward selves.  

All of those nasty tropes that I have heard since childhood.   A wandering dispossessed people, with no earthly home, that we exist at the mercy of the nations.

We’ve found safety in America for a long time, But I wonder how much longer that will last.  For the Jews, for anybody. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Yes. So stark and scary. I'm with you...how do we maintain the course of our life and the search for personal meaning amidst the sense of impending disaster. question I'm sure asked by generations before us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is with you.What I keep hearing is "the golden age of the Jews is over. 75 years...and now it's on the rise once again. Your writing is clear and concise and all of it true. SO difficult to be joyous about anything at this time. Supposed to get married this summer and we have put it off till next June...there's too much angst and anger and fear of both the next election and what is happening to our dream of Israel Living two lives...trying to be there for my partner while watching the hate flame all around my people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the world crowding in to this writer's confidence in her own direction, causing hesitation, what move can possibly be the right one amidst these headlines? And yet, she writes, and her strength comes through in these words, each so well chosen.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...