Friday, May 17, 2024

Joe ~ May 17

 

Sitting A Little Higher

 

Some special connections happen every now and then that send a special affirmation from the cosmos. Last night, while in my room, at the Holiday Inn, I struggled through my writing for the day, took a hot shower and lounged back on the bed to watch some TV to put me to sleep. I was not that interested in the NBA game, so I started scrolling through the channels. Two clicks later I’m looking at my son in his latest episode of THIS OLD HOUSE. Well, that gave me a jolt as I proudly watched my son Zack guiding his project in Glen Ridge NJ with the rest of the TOH crew.  Indeed, a pretty novel experience and a priceless gift to a tired old Dad. 

After the show I retired for the evening. There have been may times in my life where I allowed myself to become sleep deprived, working over-nights or putting in marathon sessions to cover a big breaking news story or a looming deadline, probably with damaging effects. It will take days to recover from the recent mad dash to bring this painting project to some kind of fruition. I could probably write a book on how to sabotage your goals in life and still be able to face the next day refreshed and willing to do it again. I left the hotel around 10am tis morning and headed back to good ole’ NJ. Driving the van without the anxiety to deliver three massive canvass, and it was a much more relaxing experience. As I made way up to the Pocono Mountains something seemed different. I have driven this route thousands of times in my life and yet I was seeing it through a different lens. At first, I couldn’t discern what it was. The terrain was the same and there was no grand changes to the road or geography, but yet, I found that it was fresh and new. Then I realized what it was. I was sitting much higher in the van and I was seeing my surroundings like I never have before. Visually I was tickled to view what I could not see in the past. It was like going from an 18” screen to a 85”er. Passing over Tobyhanna Creek and the Lehigh River and seeing the water ripple over the rocks was a treat. There was a construction project at the Delaware Water Gap so traffic was crawling along while crossing the bridge over the Delaware River. The bridge is actually part of the Appalachian Trail. Going so slowly I could peer down and see the river meandering along and a few kayakers making their way south. I spotted quite parts of the river where a school of fish were feeding. The telltale little disturbances on the water gave them away as they feasted on the local insect delicacy. An eagle swooped up from beneath the bridge with a fish in it’s talons. Wow, So gracious and beautiful. Traveling on there were many dead deer. Mostly young doe…so unsettling. Old retread discarded tires and rocks that have fallen from their excavated precipices, an accident where an ambulance had just shown up and was treating the occupants effected. While I traveled, I listened to my Pat Metheny radio station on my CarPlay. Pat’s my favorite and there were so many other artists that I never know about and enjoyed all the music thoroughly. Sitting a little higher in the seat was such an enjoyable sensation. It’s amazing to me how something, seemingly so simple can change my perspective and general sense of wellbeing. And to top off this sojourn of sitting a bit higher…a song came on by Pat Metheny which was recorded live in NYC. Feeling the wonderful vibes of the tune and then hearing the applause from the audience somehow triggered the fact that I was in that audience and was one of those enthusiastic aficionados who were hooting and hollering their appreciation. Now, I can’t say for sure, but, I believe this all magically came to light because I was sitting a little bit higher.

 

3 comments:

  1. Good rendition of the euphoria of meeting a challenging goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A well served respite...a beautiful ride home. all the details of highway riding...you took us all on a little trip couple with the sadness of the deer and the ambulance and how soothing and healing was the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, such peace with a job well done, sitting on top of the world, with all its beauties, pain and difficulties.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...