Thursday, May 16, 2024

Heidi ~ May 16

 

Happy Birthday to me.

 

I have a weird plan for the day, and now I am wishing I had planned something more uplifting. My dear friend and I are going to the Rosendale cemetery to look into green burial. 

 

For ourselves.  

 

I felt fine about it yesterday, no more than a practical project making it easy for those who are left behind. 

 

It is a dreary day outside. A good staging for a cemetery.  It can be fun, I tell myself.  

 

Another friend already has a plot there.  She was so excited to show me.  When we got there it took some searching before we found the spot identified by two evergreens bordering her waiting abode.  No other marker, just nature. Where she will melt into the earth, fodder for earth creatures, everything dissolving except for the titanium hip which will mark her grave forever. The earthworms will be very confused when they hit the metal. 

 

The body in the earth and the spirit-infused one walking around – two very different things. 

 

Actually, this is a check point, a marker, a celebration of another round at 81.  Here is where I COULD be.

 

But I’m not.  I’m very much ALIVE, juicy, vibrant.  The tingly flow of blood, telling me so.  Grateful that I AM still walking around with all my parts, no metal except for a few in my teeth.  Friends, family, work, writing, years of learning, and movement fill my days with meaning. I’ll keep going with gusto until the earth swallows me up whenever that may be. 

 

So, yes, It WILL be fun, a story to tell when I am 90. 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Loving the sheer ALIVENESS of this author and this writing. Wishing all good Birthday wishes and here's to celebrating 90!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life and death in one piece, on a birth day, ending on a toast to the very vibrant future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alive juicy vibrant indeed, both author and the piece!

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...