Monday, May 20, 2024

Gary ~ May 20

 

I'm Leaving On A Jet Plane

 

And I don't know when I'll be back again but it sure was fun while it lasted.

 

Last night was the Sharing Party or talent night and it turned out to be WAY better, I think, than anyone

expected.

 

I have to confess that I was a big hit, but so were a lot of others, and it was amazing to see just how each individual has his or her own particular kind of charm.  I think charming is the operative word here because I know I was completely charmed by the whole show and I was charmed by everyone who stepped up to perform in any way, even in ways that I usually find boring and yawn-inducing.  Like reading poetry or reading an excerpt from one's latest historical novel, or singing songs that I don't like and which I find go on too long, for instance.

 

But last night was different.  I actually enjoyed hearing Craig's poetry and I totally enjoyed the excerpt from Cheryl's latest historical novel, and I enjoyed hearing Tancha's request for some song that lasted about 12 minutes and had something to do with wind and waves and I really didn't get what else, except I got that it was about something spiritual, like love or transformation, although for some reason I was unable to make out a lot of the words, but who cares, I enjoyed it anyway.

 

And for once I didn't try to steal the show, thank God, because with this crowd that would have gone over like a the proverbial lead balloon.  These guys don't cotton to big egos and people who like standing out from the crowd, and on that score, I think I did pretty good.  I did my thing and then I laid back while others did their thing.

 

After the talent show, people started requesting songs that Eliza, who was playing the role of DJ via the karaoke machine, then played and we all got up to dance and things really opened up from there and pretty soon everybody was dancing and doing their thing and everybody had a great time.

 

At the end, everybody hugged everybody with big deep hugs and the whole thing was a great and total success, not only last night but the entire stay, with all its varied activities and events.

 

But last night was the topper, that's for sure.  I sure hope they do it next year as well.

 

Julie and I never got to do our version of Guilty, with me playing the role of Barry Gibb and Julie playing the role of Barbra Streisand, a role she said she always wanted to play.

 

As we were leaving the party I said to Julie, "We'll sing Guilty next year and I'll play Barry Gibb and you'll play Barbra."

 

"No," Julie said, "I want to play Barry Gibb and I want you to play Barbra."

 

"Great!" I said, "I want to play Barbra.  I think I can do a really good job."

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, how I celebrate with the author! Having followed his thoughts and plans, his fantasy of being the star. Yet, in reality he does his thing and sits back enjoying others: "I didn't try to steal the show." We get the feeling this is growth for him AND has increased his enjoyment tremendously. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am in total agreement with Heidi and could not possibly say it better, However...would very much like that video of author playing Barbra...it's going to be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Heidi and Gloria here! Ditto and ditto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great conclusion to the trip we have all been on. Glad for the good feelings, the open hearts, even the poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...