Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Christina ~ May 1

 

I’m leaving the Big Y supermarket, driving up King Street toward Main Street, Elvis Presley singing about a woman who is always on his mind, and I feel the weight of tears, a heaviness behind my eyes. No, I didn’t want this, never wanted this, the supermarket with the wide aisles, the shopping carts in the parking lot, the auto dealerships and car washes, the isolated, sad hardware store, the coffee place plopped in the middle of all this hopeless ugliness, no, I never wanted this life. I never wanted to live in a place where I had to drive everywhere to do anything. My son says, But mom, you can walk down Main Street, and yes, there are restaurants and gift shops and banks on Main Street and yes I can walk down Main Street but I don’t really want to. Main Street in this small college town is full of drugged out young people, people who might have come to Pioneer Valley twenty years ago to go to college but who somehow dropped out, couldn’t pay the rent, decided living in the woods was a solution, begging on the street was a life. So yes, Northampton is a college town, Smith College is just a block from my very nice apartment in the 125 year old converted school house, a pretty town, a liberal town, but to me, a sad town and not where I want to be.

6 comments:

  1. Not where I want to be. Oh this is going to be a gold mine, I can tell. College towns, especially Ivy League college towns, are somehow fascinating. Liberal and sad at the same time. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God, the soullessness of suburbia. I can't bear it. Even the supposedly acceptable versions thereof. I see and feel this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am engaged and feeling the heaviness in the writer in this piece. So graphic, so profound, so authentic. On my block I feel the same. Full of wonderful restaurants, but shopping is the mall instead of my old Woodstock local places where "everyone knows my name."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me, how place can be estranging...Your description of the outer and inner ..."the coffee place plopped in the middle of all this hopeless ugliness, no, I never wanted this life." so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally engaging description of a place the author does not want to be...not her life...a precise understanding of who the people are and how they cam not be there, Sadly observant...will want to follow along.

    ReplyDelete

Lila ~ May 31

  I have another friend of mine who is involved with the deaf world.  My friend T.   I first met T when I started nursing school at DCC.  I ...